Handling and Disposal of Contaminated Sharps
1. All needles and syringes will be placed in designated
receptacle immediately following use. This
organization does not re-use single use syringes or
needles. If syringes and/or needles are used during
surgical procedure, they will be disposed of in the
designated receptacle immediately following procedure.
2. All sharps should be placed in designated receptacle
immediately following procedure.
3. All broken glass (slides, vials or bottles, etc.) is
picked up by personnel wearing gloves and using
mechanical means such as dust pan and brush. This glass
must be immediately placed in a designated receptacle.
If the broken glass contains any contaminated materials,
the mechanical devices must be thoroughly decontaminated
prior to reuse; if decontamination is not possible, the
devices must be discarded in the contaminated waste
4. Designated receptacles for sharps, glass and syringes
will be sealed per manufacturer's directions and
disposed of in the contaminated waste area.
5. Appropriate receptacles shall be provided in all areas
of patient care.
Approved By Governing Board