Death of Patient
1. In the event of a death at this organization, clinical
employees will immediately notify the most-readily-
available doctor; the patient will be pronounced by the
doctor or transported by EMS personnel.
2. The doctor will document the time of death and how the
death was determined.
3. The coroner's office will be notified of the death by the
appropriate clinical person. All medical equipment,
lines, etc. must remain attached to the patient until the
coroner authorizes removal.
4. The patient's doctor shall notify the patient's family
of the death.
5. Disposition of the body will be handled according to
regulations of the County Coroner's Office.
6. Personal belongings of the deceased shall be surrendered
to the person responsible for the patient, upon receipt
of a signed inventory. This shall be kept on patient's
7. The completed patient medical record shall be secured and
reviewed by the appropriate Quality Management personnel
and by the Medical Director.
8. As required by State law and by accrediting agency
standards the proper organizations will be contacted and
notified of a patient death.
Approved By Governing Board