Crash Cart also called Banyan Kit at our organization :
Emergency drugs and supplies, used only in case of a medical emergency, shall be immediately available, located in the crash cart. The Crash cart contents will be listed in a log maintained outside of the cart.
The anesthesia provider and the medical director will determine the contents of the cart. Drugs used for management of anesthesia, and drugs used to prevent accidental deeper stages of anesthesiology are also kept in a drawer near the anesthesiologist labeled "Emergency Drugs". These drugs have also been provided to facilitate expeditious administration of emergency drugs in the event that the time to retrieve the crash cart is deemed to lengthy and jeopardizes the patients safety. Contents of these drawers are provided in our office documentation and policies.
1. The crash cart will remain sealed, with a numbered seal
intact, at all times when not in use. The seal will be
legitimately removed only when an emergency situation
arises or by staff to re-check the contents.
2. Under no circumstances will the contents of the crash
cart be used for routine care; the anesthesia provider
will not be allowed to work out of the cart i.e. utilize emergency medications for
management of the patient; there by affecting the
quantity of the 'crash cart' medications.
3. Drugs stocked on the crash cart shall conform with the
inventory sheet maintained on the cart.
4. The crash cart shall be located in an area accessible to
the Operating Room and the areas used for recovery.
5. The integrity of the crash cart will be checked on every
surgery day by verifying that the seal is intact.
Qualified personnel will be assigned to inspect the crash
cart for completeness and functioning of equipment at
least monthly or at any time that it is observed that the
twist-off seal has been removed for legitimate or
illegitimate purposes. The crash cart log will be
completed at each inspection--whether physical or visual.
6. Medications will be checked monthly for expiration dates
and replaced as needed.
7. All personnel in the facility will be oriented as to the
location of the crash cart.
8. All professional personnel will participate in regular
Approved By Governing Board