Use of Electrocautery Equipment
Electrocautery is a therapeutic modality used only upon the
order of physician.
1. The mechanical cautery units should be subjected to
routine biomedical inspection and certification pursuant
to manufacturer's recommendations. Staff should
carefully inspect each piece of equipment before each use.
2. Manufacturer's instructions should be carefully followed,
including the use of properly-sized grounding and/or
3. Care should be taken to assure that cleansing and wound
care solutions do not migrate and touch the pad.
4. Equipment should be maintained in the 'off' setting until
activated at the direction of the physician.
5. Cautery equipment should be removed from the
surgical field when it is not in use.
6. All pads used during the cautery process should be
accounted for at the completion of the procedure and the
treated area evaluated by the circulating nurse.
Approved By Governing Board