Plan for Security Emergencies
Try to isolate the patient by offering to continue discussion
in the hall in front of the exam rooms, away from main
waiting room. NEVER ISOLATE YOURSELF WITH A PATIENT
Have the appropriate person see this patient. One particular
person who may stand a chance of diffusing the situation.
(i.e. physician, nursing supervisor, office manager)
If the situation continues to intensify ask patient to leave,
If staff feels threatened or in danger, dial 911. OR
UTILIZE PANIC BUTTON, located in the reception area.
- Never attempt to utilize the telephone during a
confrontation with an intruder.
- Know location of panic button.
- Never challenge the intruder, always give the
intruder what ever they desire, i.e. give narcotics,
monies, syringes, etc to the intruder
- Know where all exits are located.
Remember to follow the rules of the facility with regard to
- Once the last patient has left and it is after
routine business hours, the door shall be locked.
- No one will be left alone in the office after normal
business hours while working late. When possible, the
buddy system will be utilized when leaving the
building after business hours.
- Be Aware
Approved By Governing Board