Identification and Reporting of Notifiable Infections
An infection log will be maintained; all reported patient
infections will be entered onto the log. The log will be
reviewed by the Medical Director, Clinical Coordinator, and
the Quality Assessment/Performance Improvement Committee on a
1. All cases of suspected or active infection shall be
recorded. Only culture-proven infections will be
considered to be 'notifiable'.
2. Reports shall be filed with the local regulatory agency
for all notifiable disease (sample form and list of
notifiable diseases is attached).
3. All surgeons will be regularly queried on the incidence
of infection for those patients receiving treatment at
4. For each infection reported, a member of the staff shall
contact the appropriate staff member to complete an
Infection Control Report Form.
5. This data will be forwarded to the Clinical Coordinator
and the Medical Director and, as appropriate, considered
for review by the Quality Assessment/Performance
6. Reportable symptoms of infection include:
A. Temperature of 101.5 degrees for more than 48
B. WBC greater than 12,000.
C. Redness, swelling and/or drainage at site of wound.
7. The ultimate outcome will be reported for every infection
entered on the infection log.
See the 'POST-SURGICAL INFECTION CONTROL' form.
Approved By Governing Board