Removal of Personal Protective Equipment
Personal protective equipment is removed before leaving the
procedure room unless the staff member is transporting
equipment to the decontamination area for cleaning. When
equipment/supplies must be removed from the room, staff
members remain garbed in personal protective equipment until
all cleanup is completed at which time the protective gear is
removed and discarded.
Equipment is disposed of in the proper receptacle.
Hands are washed subsequent to removal of all protective
1. The first step to removing the gown is for scrubbed
personnel to untie gown at waist; Neck and inside waist
ties are unfastened by staff to prevent contamination of
own scrubs with the patient's secretions and blood.
2. Gowns are removed first so that areas contaminated from
patient's bacteria which is now present on outside of
gown are folded inward as the gown is removed. Gown is
disposed of in the proper receptacle.
3. Gloves are removed by taking the outer edge of one glove
with the other gloved hand and pulling glove off.
4. With ungloved hand, slip fingers inside cuff edge and
pull off glove, inside out.
5. Gloves are then disposed of in the proper receptacle.
6. Wash hands after removing gloves.
Approved By Governing Board