Gupta Gastro Makeover Is Now Complete!
|9/4/2014 12:57:34 PM|
Great news! Our Far Rockaway location has completed its remodeling and renovation |
Please visit our new look at 238 Beach 20th St, Queens, New York.
Gupta Gastro Makeover
|6/6/2014 10:12:46 AM|
Great news! Our Far Rockaway location will be going through some remodeling and renovation.
We will be working hard to stay open during the process.
Please excuse our mess while we give 238 Beach 20th St a facelift.
Advanced Naturals Probiotics
|5/9/2014 2:27:32 PM|
Ultimate FloraMax (30 caps) by Advanced Naturals $29.99 – $39.99 |
Ultimate FloraMax 30 Billion is ideal for those just beginning a daily digestive care regimen or seeking a general daily maintenance probiotic. Our newest formulation is based on a 3:2 ratio of Bifidobacterium to Lactobacillus cultures, and helps mitigate mild to moderate digestive irregularity, relieves occasional constipation and diarrhea, and optimizes intestinal immune health.‡
-30 Billion Cultures in One Capsule
-10 Lactobacillus and Bifido strains support small and large intestinal microflora‡
-Helps replenish essential Bifido colonies that decline as we age in a balanced, easy-dose formula‡
-Helps Relieve Digestive Distress‡
-Guaranteed potency, delayed-release vegetable fiber capsule
-No fillers or binders
‡This statement has not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
More vitamins and supplements for your digestive health
The #1 Food that Harms Digestion
|3/22/2014 8:27:54 AM|
Join us for our first workshop for your digestive health on April 9, 2014 6:45pm-8:00pm
•Come learn what the #1 food is that harms digestion, immunity & mental health!
•Learn how to make a simple snack that can improve bowel regularity.
Over 70% of Americans suffer from some kind of digestive disorder and yet this one
common ingredient is the biggest culprit in causing and exacerbating various forms of
IBS and chronic disease.
In this transformational workshop we will reveal this ingredient, where it is
hiding and how you can avoid it!
This will be the most important workshop you have ever attended! Food samples,
handouts and opportunities to keep diving deep into the realm of nutrition/digestive
health will be provided.
What you will receive
• Recipe e-book and handouts on ingredients
• Helpful handouts
• A health supportive snack and recipe!
• Secrets to enhancing your digestion and energy = priceless!
• Bonus opportunity to take control of your cravings and digestive health!
When: Wednesday. April 9th, 6:45-8:00pm
Where: Gupta Gastro, 130 Avenue P, Brooklyn, NY
Registration & payment info: $5 (suggested donation) reserves your
seat and will be donated to a charity.
Register by clicking here or visiting us in person.
Key Statistics for Colorectal Cancer
|3/10/2014 8:09:16 AM|
What are the key statistics about colorectal cancer?
Excluding skin cancers, colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer diagnosed in both men and women in the United States.
The American Cancer Society's estimates for the number of colorectal cancer cases in the United States for 2014 are:
96,830 new cases of colon cancer
40,000 new cases of rectal cancer
Overall, the lifetime risk of developing colorectal cancer is about 1 in 20 (5%).
This risk is slightly lower in women than in men.
A number of other factors can also affect a person's risk for developing colorectal cancer.
Colorectal cancer is the third leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States when men and women are considered separately,
and the second leading cause when both sexes are combined.
It is expected to cause about 50,310 deaths during 2014.
The death rate (the number of deaths per 100,000 people per year) from colorectal cancer has been dropping in both men and women for more than 20 years.
There are a number of likely reasons for this.
One is that polyps are being found by screening and removed before they can develop into cancers.
Screening is also allowing more colorectal cancers to be found earlier when the disease is easier to cure.
In addition, treatment for colorectal cancer has improved over the last several years.
As a result, there are now more than 1 million survivors of colorectal cancer in the United States.
GuptaGastro Social Media
|1/30/2014 9:52:11 AM|
Thank you to all our social media friends, followers re-tweeters and viewers!
With over 1,055,563 views on our YouTube page and thousands of followers, we will continue to provide great content from time to time.
Feel free to submit a request at anytime. We are here to spread health awareness in our community and world wide.
GuptaGastro Updates 2013
|10/6/2013 2:39:11 PM|
In the past few months we have been undergoing our latest rounds of improvements.
* More team members per patient
* Significantly shorter waiting times
* New electronic medical records
* Online health record options
* Email appointment reminders and feedback
* More entertainment options
* New videos on GuptaGastro's YouTube page
* Online booking page
Thank you for all the support and feedback. We take all reviews very seriously and make improvements quickly.
Love your Greens & Salad, but hate the Gas & Acidity?
|6/22/2013 1:26:16 PM|
|3/24/2013 8:09:00 PM|
Mediterranean Diet :|
This is the take home message for a Mediterranean diet which was published recently in New England Journal of Medicine and followed up in New York Times. It reduced heart attacks and strokes significantly :
1. 4 four tablespoons a day of extra virgin olive oil.
2. Have an ounce ie a generous handful of a combination of walnuts, almonds and hazelnuts .
3. The most important part of the diet : have at least three servings a day of fruits and at least two servings of vegetables.
4. Have fish at least three times a week
5. Have legumes, which include beans, peas and lentils, at least three times a week.
6. Have white meat instead of red
7. IF you are used to drinking wine with food, have one glass of wine with dinner daily
8. AND avoid commercially made cookies, cakes and pastries and to limit dairy products and processed meats.
And my personal suggestion : have colorful fruits and vegetables, cut down sodas, fruit juices, candies and ice-cream and start walking regularly to start a healthy life style !!
Is Bacteria Causing You to Feel Bloated or Have Excessive Flatulence?
|2/15/2013 8:31:19 AM|
Why do we feel bloated?
It is a sensation we have when we feel our abdomen is bigger than what we are used to. It can either be due a simple thing like relaxing the abdominal wall, or because of excessive gas. Do not confuse this with distension, which is a physical finding (not just a feeling) due to abdominal fat, fluid, excessive gas or tumor.
Why do we have flatulence or pass gas?
We either swallow air or the bacteria in our intestine produce gas. Discomfort is usually cause by the bacteria producing excessive gas. Bacteria act on undigested foods like starch and cellulose, which has passed the small intestine and form methane, hydrogen and carbon dioxide. CO2 immediately gets absorbed from the intestine and does not cause symptoms.
Some sugars are also not well absorbed like lactose (milk), fructose (candies and drinks), sorbitol (artificial sweetners) etc. Starches commonly cause intestinal gas, examples are rice, wheat, corn and oats. Common offenders are wheat, oats and potatoes. Rice is easily digested and does not cause too much gas. Whole wheat flour contains fiber and causes more gas than refined flour. Kidney beans, cabbage and certain fruits also cause more gas because of poorly digested starches. Most vegetables and fruits contain cellulose which is used by bacteria very slowly and does not produce that much gas.
All this swallowed air and gas produced by bacteria is propelled forward by intestinal peristalsis or rhythmic contractions of the gut, some of it is absorbed through the intestinal lining into the blood stream and excreted in the breath, some of the gas is used up by 'good' bacteria present in the gut thus removing it and the rest is burped out or passed through the anus.
What are the causes of too much gas?
1. Every person is unique and so are their bacteria in their intestines! Some bacteria produce more gas and some less.
2. Some people have poor digestion and more undigested food reaches the colon for the bacteria to act. Examples are celiac disease, lactose intolerance and pancreatic insufficiency.
3. Bacteria are usually confined to the colon but can sometimes spread to the small intestine. They act on a lot of undigested food in the small intestine and produce a lot of gas. This is called small bowel bacterial overgrowth, which is seen in intestinal obstruction due to surgical adhesion, scarring, narrowing of intestine, poor movement of the gut, severe constipation, paralysis of stomach or gastroparesis as in diabetics, poorly functioning muscles of the gut called chronic idiopathic pseudo-obstruction and irritable bowel syndrome.
What is the treatment for excessive
1. If you are sensitive to milk and milk products, cut down or eliminate it, or use lactaid in the milk.
2. If certain sugars cause symptoms, then eliminate them. It could be certain fruits, juices or even vegetables. Keep a track of which foods cause most symptoms and even keep a diary for a week.
3. Avoid dietetic foods, sugar-free candies, gum, carbonated beverages and drinking with a straw.
4. Eat slowly and chew more, if you have dentures make sure they fit well.
5. Restrict beans, lentils, carrots, onions, brussels sprouts, cabbage, prunes, fruits like apples, pears and peaches and whole wheat products which are all gas causing foods.
6. Avoid wheat/gluten if celiac disease is diagnosed.
7. Medicines like Gas X, Mylicon, Phazyme, Mylanta gas, Beano, Charco tabs are useful in improving symptoms of gas.
8. If there is obstruction present, surgical intervention needs to be considered.
9. Prescription medicines like erythromycin and Reglan, Xifaxan can also have a role if your doctor thinks it to be appropriate.
10. Probiotics are now being recognized as playing an important role in symptoms of gas and irritable bowel syndrome with constipation and or diarrhea. Some of them are Align, Culturelle, Florastor, various yoghurts like Activia and many many more.